BP should be held responsible for all damage that it does to private property. Government should be held responsible for its contribution to the mess. Here are some reasons why government shares the blame.
5. Government was in charge of inspecting the oil rig, regulations, safety standards, etc. In fact, government agents inspected the rig mere hours before it exploded.
4. Government encourages risky behavior by limiting liability. This is compounded by the fact that the oceans are socialized, leading to the tragedy of the commons. If people were allowed to own ocean wildlife, they would be able to protect it.
3. Government encourages drilling in deep water. This is more difficult, which makes spills more likely. This also makes it much harder to plug any leaks.
2. Government encourages dependence on oil by funneling alternative energy research funds to useless, but politically connected, corn lobby.
1. Government steals half of my money each year, so I can’t afford to help clean up the spill like Kevin Costner. Okay, maybe that’s a stretch. But how about this? The federal government won’t even let the cleaning barges that are on site go into operation.
The Judge explains it all.